I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice 🤣
My name is Derrick Wippler, I’m a Developer, Mentor, Friend, Father, Husband, Entrepreneur, Gamer, and Builder.
Things I’ve Written
- Anatomy Of A Product: How to build and scale a SaaS
- Mastering RESTful Design: A Decade of Lessons Learned and Best Practices
- Mailgun/GroupCache: The superior Golang cache
- Introduction to Gubernator
- Service Mesh & Vulcand at Mailgun
Things I’ve Built
- Gubernator is a high performance rate limiting service and library written in golang and battle tested at Mailgun
- Mailgun.com is a highly scalable email SaaS company which scales to billions of emails delivered each day.
- Hubble is a CLI tool for managing environment variables for other CLI tools like novaclient and kubectl
- Mailgun Flavored GroupCache A modified version of group cache with support for
context.Context, go modules, and explicit key removal and expiration.
- Git-clip is a CLI tool used in conjunction with
gitto manage git branches, by “clipping” old branches and providing visibility into the state of you local branches at a glance.
- SuperRetro 16 is a SNES emulator I wrote with a good friend and tried to form a company around.
Things I Believe
- You can have strong opinions but, don’t hold them too close to your heart.
- You should never guess, always inspect, measure, and then act.
- If your entire focus is on code, you will get beautiful code, but a poor product.
- Everyone has value, some just haven’t seen it yet, It’s our job to help them see it.
- If you don’t have a strategy for handling technical debt you are doomed to lose velocity over the life of your product.
- The key isn’t finding the perfect product, so much as it is figuring out the method for making successful products.
- The point of a debate is to argue a position, the point of a conversation is to exchange ideas. One is productive, the other is not. Life is too short to argue with those who only wish to debate, but not educate.
- Two much power concentrated in a single person is detrimental to humanity.
- My favorite childhood memory is my back not hurting.
And finally, Don’t take any one thing to seriously, including this.
Things I’ve Worked On
I’m currently working on an open source based communication startup which is currently in stealth mode.